Adjectives

ADJECTIVES

Linda pareja de pie en la naturaleza y jugando con su perro amoroso Foto Premium

Let's start this post by describing the picture above! 👀

A language is made up of different words. Each of these words have a special function and we call them PARTS OF THE SPEECH. They are verbs, adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, nouns, articles, prepositions and pronouns. 
In this post we will focus on ADJECTIVES. Do not forget their main function which is to describe the noun.

Adjectives can work two different ways: as attributive and predicative.

ATTRIBUTIVE: 
They go BEFORE a noun and describe it.

An ugly hostel
A funny clown
Long hair
Busy cities

Let's see them in complete sentences:

We went to a beautiful village in Ishuatán but we stayed in an ugly hostel.
My friend's daughter's birthday party was fantastic, she hired a funny clown.
The woman in the picture has long hair.
I don't like to travel to busy cities. They are too noisy!

PREDICATIVE:
We call them predicative adjectives when they are separated from the noun they describe by a verb.

My friend's daughter's birthday party was fantastic.
They are noisy.
The weather was cold.

Some important points about adjectives:
  • Adjectives do not take masculine or feminine gender. Except for beautiful and handsome. (My father is busy. / My mother is busy. BUT  My dad is handsome. / My mom is beautiful.)
  • Adjectives do not take a plural form.  ( I have two wonderful dogs. I have two wonderfuls dogs.)
Here are some links which could help you strengthen this topic:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple present: 3rd person singular

Asking for and giving personal information

Grammar point: Verb Be in simple present